Charlie is an Angel

For those of you who don’t know, I had the honor
of photographing a baby girl this early spring named Charlie.
Charlie was diagnosed with Leukemia at the very beginning
of her life. She has been such an inspiration to
all those who have been following her journey on this long
difficult road. Her parents, Mike + Kelly have been absolutely incredible.

…spending much of the first year of her life in
a hospital, they never ever left her side.
they never ever lost hope or faith.
Charlie’s photo updates were something I looked
forward to daily. She seemed to be giving the disease
a run for it’s money…showing Leukemia that she
was much tougher than it could be.
…She even went into remission for some time.

I’ve known Mike since high school, but I waited patiently
to have the opportunity to photograph Charlie.
Mike contacted me  before Mother’s Day and wanted to surprise
Kelly with a Mother’s Day session for her and Charlie.
It was by far the most difficult and inspiring session I have ever had
or will ever have. I was in complete awe of them as
a family. You could feel the pain in their hearts,
but you were overwhelmed with the hope and faith they still had.

Charlie wasn’t used to being outside with the wind blowing
and the sun shining so we didn’t have a whole lot of
time together, but I loved watching her snuggle with Kelly.
…and the little tiny giggles & smiles when Kelly would sing
her the Itsy Bitsy Spider.
…and being a witness to a true Daddy’s Girl.

But in that short amount of time I was
forever changed. Forever inspired.
I was a witness to a strength I’ve never personally known.
a love I’ve only just begun to dream of.
a bond that’s unbreakable.
a bravery beyond words.
…and now an unimaginable pain.

Charlie lost her battle to this awful disease last night.
…she passed in the arms of her mother and her father.
Two incredibly special people.
…they are more than just special people,
they are very special parents. Because of them, the time that
Charlie did have here was meaningful, inspirational and life altering
to all those who knew her, and loved her.

My wish for Mike + Kelly is that they get the time
that they need to grieve this immense loss in their own way.
I also pray that over time, the ways in which Charlie made her mark
on this world will come to light in all different ways.
…to be a reminder of the beautiful baby girl they created,
and the ways in which she changed the lives of the people
who loved her.

Mike + Kelly,

I am so deeply sorry for the pain & suffering you’re feeling.
Words could never do justice to how much I wish that each
and every one of us could take this pain from you both.
I truly feel so blessed that I was able to document even a small
part of the beauty and the strength that was Charlie.
…She was so very very lucky to have been born to
two of the most incredible people I’ve ever had the pleasure
of knowing.

My deepest sympathies,
my love
my prayers
my thoughts

…they are with you.

25 Comments

1. Sonya Brown says:

This was beautiful Britt! I am in tears:( I just could not imagine! My thoughts and prayers go out to Kelly & Mike..

2. Anonymous says:

such beautiful and kind words

3. Jessica Johnson says:

That is sooo sweet!!! My Prayers are with them & my heart goes out to them!!! They are such a cute family!!! They will be with there baby girl again!!! I know this has got to be the hardest Thing they have ever been through!! And may the LORD GUIDE THEM THROUGH EVERY SEC OF IT!!!! U GUYS ARE IN MY PRAYERS!!!!!!!

4. Anonymous says:

My Prayers are with you and your Family. I have followed this and I am very sad to here this. May God Bless Charlie and both of you. She is now a true Angel…..

5. Pam says:

My heartfelt prayers and sincere condolences go out to Mike and Kelly for the loss of their precious girl. I pray the Lord will comfort you and ease the pain of your sorrow.

6. Kim says:

Beautiful, touching words. They will be in my thoughts and prayers. Sitting here with tears in my eyes and can’t even begin to grasp their heartbreak. God be with them and their family and friends.

7. jaime says:

well said britt…. Just beautiful!

8. Lindsey H says:

Thank you for this, it is so beautiful. Charlie is now a true angel. Prayers for Mike and Kelly and all who loved this little girl. RIP Charlie.

9. Lori Hill says:

Your words and pictures are so beautiful. Mike and Kelly were blessed to have you document their journey with thier precious Charlie. Your pictures are their treasure! God bless Mike and Kelly during this time of deep sorrow. Charlie you were a fighter, rest in peace little angel.

10. Pam says:

Mike and Kelly,

I am deeply sorry for your loss. I hope in time that the mention of Charlies name will bring music to your ears instead of tears and that it soothes your brokens hearts and sings to your souls. Brittany Majka’s words were as beautiful as her pictures of your family. I pray the love of God enfolds you both during your journey through grief. May you both be a rock of support for each other and grief together. May both your hearts and souls find peace and comfort in time.

11. Stefanie says:

A colleague of mine shared your story with me and while I don’t know any of you personally, I am grieved by your tragic loss. This page is a wonderful tribute to a beautiful family, is a beautiful testimony, and provides beautiful memories in photos. May God bless you all as you grieve this terrible tragedy and grant you peace as you celebrate this marvelous child’s life. I’m so very sorry for your loss.

12. Gen says:

Beautiful pics of a beautiful family. My thoughts and prayers are with them!!

13. Anonymous says:

What a beautiful story. I am a verY close friend of Charlie’s Great-grandma so we have shared her beautiful story and kept all of the family in our prayers. May this beautiful Angel fill all our hearts with precious memories. Love to all of you. Ellie

14. Anonymous says:

This story broke my heart. I hate hearing about a death of an innocent child. My baby was 6 weeks old when she was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma, however I was blessed that she was able to win her fight against her cancer. I can’t even imagine if I were to have lost her. My heart goes out the Charlies parents, may their beautiful daughter continue to touch the ones that love her….

15. Lindsay Hensler says:

You said it! Family is important and watching Mike and Kelly fight so hard for they’re family showed how easy many of our lives are and how many little things we take for granted. How dare we complain that we are tired and can’t deal with a crying kid anymore…….our lives are easy. Reality sets in when you try to imagine what you would do in they’re position…..you fight, you hold on to every moment you get, and you put your strength in the lord. Thanks Mike and Kelly for inspiring us as much as Charlie did. Charlie with her big heart and loving eyes……she will be missed by all for years to come. We love you!

16. Liz says:

IKelly is not only my co-worker, but my very dear friend. I have never been able to put into words what I have watched her go thru this past year…but you have put it so beautifully. You did an amazing job capturing their love.

17. Anonymous says:

God bless Charlie’s parents I’m praying that God will help your hearts !!!! Your daughter’s photos were so beautiful and the family photos are too !!! RIH Rest In Heaven angel Charlie !!!

18. Anonymous says:

I don’t know you personally, but a good friend of mine has shared your story with me over the past year and shared pictures of Charlie. What a beautiful baby and a wonderful blessing. When I heard of her passing and read the story posted on this page, I cried, because as a mother myself, I can only imagine the horrible loss that you must feel. May God give all of you comfort in this time of need, and give you the strength that you need to get through this terrible time of loss. My heart goes out to you and my thoughts and prayers are with you. God Bless you.

19. Steve York says:

What an amazing tribute! Thanks for sharing your gift with all of us!

20. Anonymous says:

This was a beautiful tribute to Charlie! Thank you for sharing the pictures and the words of love and strength that Kelly and Mike have endured together. Charlie is an Angel and will forever be in our hearts. My prayers and those of my family and friends are with you…

21. Anonymous says:

De tout coeur à vous les parents de Charlie, je vis en Suisse, où je fais partie d’une association pour enfant atteint d’un cancer. Il est toujours insupportable de dire adieu à un enfant. Votre petit Ange restera dans nos coeurs. Ici une bougie s’allumera pour elle.

22. Anonymous says:

Thank you for sharing. We so easily forget the misfortune that people around us are going thru each day. Losing someone is so hard to do, only time will help heal some this ache.

23. Geneva McDonald says:

Just love. Keeping you all in my prayers and sending lots of love!

24. Charlene Jacob says:

So touching, and reaching into my heart. Very inspiring. Charlie has touched each one of us. Thank you for sharing your little girl, and all the love that surrounds her.

1. […] a sweet little girl, whose life was taken much too soon, but not before she touched the lives of so many people. {click here to read her story} […]

Leave some L O V E

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s